Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A growing stage in the life cycle of some sporozoan parasites, when they are absorbing nutrients from the host.
- ‘Ingested cysts hatch into trophozoites in the small intestine and continue moving down the digestive tract to the colon.’
- ‘Exposure to bile is the primary stimulus for encystation, where trophozoites transform into cysts that pass out with the feces.’
- ‘The cyst wall disintegrates in the small intestine, releasing motile trophozoites.’
- ‘Biopsy of colonic ulcer edges may yield intramural trophozoites but carries with it the risk of perforation.’
- ‘To measure parasite burden of winners and losers, we assessed the number of eugregarine trophozoites in a male's mid-gut by removing the entire gut carefully and making light microscope thin-section preparations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.