One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ship designed or used for transporting troops.
- ‘Had one of our aircraft-carriers or troopships been sunk before the troops got ashore, British forces would have been in deep trouble.’
- ‘His frigate served initially as a troopship in the 1801 operations, before assuming the role of a hospital ship.’
- ‘Our troopship came into a former Japanese naval port and after a few hours we were put on a train.’
- ‘Generally, troopships moved units to the theaters.’
- ‘Ship casualties would have been higher if bombs had burst on impact, and British prospects would have been poor if troopships rather than warships had been lost.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.