Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large aircraft or armoured vehicle or ship designed for transporting troops.
- ‘It is the principle troop carrier, transporting ten or more militiamen who can fight in mounted or dismounted formations.’
- ‘It apparently shows a strike on the troop carrier, which was flying low in clear conditions.’
- ‘In this command, there would be a theater air transport division and a troop carrier command to provide all tactical airlift and airborne operations.’
- ‘Originally planned as an air ambulance, the Huey was later rigged as a gun ship and a troop carrier.’
- ‘The new vehicle weighs about half as much as the current troop carrier in use by the military.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.