One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bus powered by electricity obtained from overhead wires by means of a pole.
- ‘They are believers in integrated transport links using trains, buses, trolleybuses and trams to increase passenger usage.’
- ‘The claret and amber stripes are as important a part of this city's identity as the town hall clock and the old trolleybuses.’
- ‘Back she comes with her shopping bag, sliding on the icy pavements, the yellow afternoon lights coming on and trolleybuses schussing along on their crackling ski-poles.’
- ‘Ever since trolleybuses disappeared in Bradford there has been a desire to bring them back.’
- ‘I ventured on to the Danube's east bank and clambered aboard a trolleybus bound for City Park.’
- ‘At their peak 20,000 trolleybuses, which run on wheels and are powered by overhead electric cables, were in operation in the UK.’
- ‘The spectacular journey delivers you across the spine of Japan by cable car, bus, trolleybus and ropeway.’
- ‘Today I saw that the trolleybus lines were broken along Kent Terrace.’
- ‘I actually like the new buses - they afford easy entry/exit at multiple points along the body of the bus, akin to the trams and trolleybuses in continental cities and modern British cities like Manchester and Sheffield.’
- ‘The minute my friend and I, bound for the concert, got off the trolleybus to reach the venue, it was obvious everyone was out for a great night.’
- ‘It would not be restricted to travelling under wires, so could follow diversions and overtake other trolleybuses.’
- ‘This will involve the purchase of 100 new trolleybuses and buses and the modernisation of the tram fleet.’
- ‘They declined steadily thereafter, with some traffic being transferred to the trolleybuses, pioneered by Leeds and Bradford in 1911, but which, at their peak, only carried a little over 2,000 million passengers.’
- ‘London is famed for its highly efficient trolleybus system.’
- ‘Campaigners who fought a battle to have Doncaster's last remaining trolleybus poles listed for conservation have welcomed council plans to restore them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.