One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An air stewardess.
- ‘Indeed, while I was there, angry workers marched through the streets of Dublin to protest at the airline's plans to cut 2500 jobs - complete with placard-waving trolley dollies chanting ‘Leave our jobs alone!’.’
- ‘One minute they're called flight attendants, the next minute they want to be called stewardesses, cabin managers, trolley dollies and I don't know what else.’
- ‘For most of us, flying is a chore, and never more so than in those long minutes during take-off and landing when we are belted into our seats and held there by the withering gaze of the trolley dolly.’
- ‘A new book reveals the secret lives of the so-called trolley dollies and flight deck crew on long haul trips.’
- ‘The airline objected because the blog, a fictionalised account of trolley dolly life, included a couple of shots of Simone in her uniform.’
- ‘A group of experienced female flight attendants are taking the company to the Anti-Discrimination Board over the stereotype of the youthful trolley dolly.’
- ‘They should fit reading lights above each seat to enable you to flick through a magazine in the dull bits, and have trolley dollies dishing out those cute little cognac miniatures.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.