Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An iron tripod placed over a fire for a cooking pot or kettle to stand on.
- ‘His opening slide was of a cast iron trivet with a steaming kettle on top.’
- ‘We use cast iron teapots on trivets, and this both intensifies the unique flavors and creates an atmospheric experience.’
- ‘Satisfied, she turned back to Lucky and motioned towards a steaming kettle sitting on an iron trivet on top of the wood stove.’
- ‘On and around them are all sorts of spits, racks, trivets, pans, kettles, cauldrons and hot plates, all fashioned out of black cast iron.’
- ‘The kettle remained almost permanently on the trivet.’
- 1.1 An iron bracket designed to hook on to bars of a grate for a similar purpose.
- ‘The front of such trivet bracket is shaped to correspond with the front edge of the bracket carrying the grate and is formed to project from the thickness of the trivet bracket that such projecting edge may rest on the edge of the bracket carrying the grate and the trivet be thereby supported and prevented from revolving.’
- 1.2 A stand or support with three or more legs.
framework, rack, holder, stand, base, support, mounting, mount, platform, prop, horse, rest, chock, plinth, bottom, trivet, bracket, frame, subframe, structure, substructure, chassisView synonyms
- ‘Practical as protectors under wine glasses, they can also be set side by side to create a trivet for a vase or a pitcher.’
- ‘I'd taken the glass turntable out to wash and thought it would be OK to use it without, just to heat milk, forgetting that the plastic supporting trivet would still turn round…’
Late Middle English: apparently from Latin tripes, triped- three-legged, from tri- three + pes, ped- foot.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.