Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Grind to a fine powder.‘insoluble materials were triturated with lactose’
fine-grained, powdery, dusty, chalky, floury, powdered, ground, granulated, crushed, pulverizedView synonyms
- ‘Anthracinum, which is prepared by triturating the dried puss from anthrax, is a very effective prophylactic against anthrax.’
- ‘After 6-7 days at 28°, mosquitoes were triturated in undiluted fetal bovine serum at a concentration of 35 mosquitoes/ml serum.’
- ‘Some triturated powders can be prepared in a lapidary tumbler, using steel balls to do the grinding.’
- ‘The supernatants were removed and the pellets triturated with 700 l of PBS / 10% FBS.’
- ‘For total phenols, the leaves were air-dried, triturated and analysed using the method of Swain.’
- 1.1Chew or grind (food) thoroughly.‘the gizzard is a part of the alimentary canal where food is triturated and broken up’
- ‘This can be a risk for aspiration of triturated food prior to the swallow.’
- ‘It thus seems that this is not an apparatus for crushing the food, but for expressing the liquid from the food triturated by the jaws.’
- ‘If the mandibles continuously carry out mastication, a large part of the finely triturated food items would be lost into the surrounding environment.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin triturat- (of corn) threshed, from tritura rubbing (from the verb terere).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.