One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & nounChemistry
- ‘Structurally, avicins are part of a greater family of molecules called triterpenoid saponins.’
- ‘Relative portions of total aliphatics and cyclic triterpenoids in the wax of intact fruits and of enzymatically isolated cuticles.’
- ‘White, red, and tree peony contain glycosides (most notably paeoniflorin), flavonoids, proanthocyanidins, tannins, terpenoids, triterpenoids, and complex polysaccharides that may all contribute to its medicinal effects.’
- ‘The resins produced by these glands have been shown to consist of a mixture of phenolics and steroidal triterpenoids; they act as important deterrents against mammalian herbivores, especially hares.’
- ‘Indeed, triterpenoid saponins with an acyl side chain have been shown to increase membrane permeability of endothelial cells, whereas those lacking the side chain did not.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.