One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of terpenes found in plant gums and resins, having unsaturated molecules based on a unit with the formula C₃₀H₄₈.
- ‘Cucurbitacins are oxygenated tetracyclic triterpenes that have been shown to have emetic, antineoplastic, and cytotoxic effects on herbivores, resulting in feeding and oviposition deterrence and reduced growth of consumers.’
- ‘The leaves of the plant contain alkaloids, glycosides, triterpenes, tannins, volatile bases and probably other substances.’
- ‘Some of the triterpenes fractions have been thought to act as in vivo precursors to steroids.’
- ‘Many of its medicinal effects are attributed to the triterpene glycosides known as ginsenosides (saponins).’
- ‘Terpenoids are classified according to the number of isoprene units they contain: monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, diterpenes, triterpenes, tetraterpenes and polyterpenes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.