One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of terpenes found in plant gums and resins, having unsaturated molecules based on a unit with the formula C₃₀H₄₈.
- ‘Cucurbitacins are oxygenated tetracyclic triterpenes that have been shown to have emetic, antineoplastic, and cytotoxic effects on herbivores, resulting in feeding and oviposition deterrence and reduced growth of consumers.’
- ‘Many of its medicinal effects are attributed to the triterpene glycosides known as ginsenosides (saponins).’
- ‘The leaves of the plant contain alkaloids, glycosides, triterpenes, tannins, volatile bases and probably other substances.’
- ‘Terpenoids are classified according to the number of isoprene units they contain: monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, diterpenes, triterpenes, tetraterpenes and polyterpenes.’
- ‘Some of the triterpenes fractions have been thought to act as in vivo precursors to steroids.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.