One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A word or metrical foot of three syllables.
- ‘A disyllable consists of two syllables, and a trisyllable of three.’
- ‘A disyllable or disyllabic word has two syllables, a trisyllable or trisyllabic word has three.’
- ‘When the word ‘scientist’ was first spoken in 1833, it was meant as a joke: its coinage first drew laughs and later was attacked as ‘an American barbarous trisyllable.’’
- ‘Exercises involving spondees and trisyllables in isolation and in simple sentences, as well as picture-based sentence identification exercises are included.’
- ‘The signal of the middle syllable of each trisyllable pronunciation is then extracted to make a synthesis unit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.