One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A state of melancholy sadness.‘lamenting a lost love, he leaves us poised at the lip of a chasm of tristesse’‘post-coital tristesse’
- ‘They knew that satiation wasn't succeeded by tristesse, it was itself, immediately, tristesse.’
- ‘The two women know the moment has a certain tristesse.’
- ‘But here more than anywhere I remember lost times, lost chances, lost friends, with the sweet tristesse that is onomatopoeic to the place.’
- ‘This special tone, a kind of enlightened tristesse, is the sign of a person who senses the existence of wisdom and ultimate good but is too humble to assert it.’
- ‘And they specialize in a sort of ceremonial tristesse that colors their writing with wan accents of pain, grief, mourning and death.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.