Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A condition in which an extra copy of a chromosome is present in the cell nuclei, causing developmental abnormalities.
- ‘A common type of chromosomal abnormality is called a trisomy.’
- ‘Both monosomy and trisomy of specific chromosomes are associated with developmental defects and cancer risk.’
- ‘The aneuploid embryos detected in the progeny from this cross include trisomies and UPDs of chromosomes 7 and 18.’
- ‘If the proband has trisomy 21, the likelihood of a trisomy 21 pregnancy is minimally increased for family members other than the parents.’
- ‘First-trimester screening also can help detect other chromosomal abnormalities such as trisomy 18.’
1930s: from tri- ‘three’+ -some.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.