One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having a body derived from three embryonic cell layers (ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm), as in all multicellular animals except sponges and coelenterates.
- ‘Compartmentalization is also the underlying advantage epithelia provide in triploblastic descendants of a diploblastic ancestor.’
- ‘The simplest animals that are bilaterally symmetrical and triploblastic (composed of three fundamental cell layers) are the Platyhelminthes, the flatworms.’
- ‘The transition from diploblastic to triploblastic body plans hinges on the origin of mesoderm.’
- ‘Common larval types are used to deduce a radially symmetrical, medusa-like organism as the common ancestor for all animal groups above coelenterates, i.e., for all triploblastic animals.’
- ‘All bilaterians are triploblastic, which means they develop three germ layers during embryonic development.’
Late 19th century: from Greek triploos ‘threefold’ + -blast + -ic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.