One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The standard version of the genetic code, in which a sequence of three nucleotides on a DNA or RNA molecule codes for a specific amino acid in protein synthesis.
- ‘Mutagens such as acridine orange work by deleting or inserting one or more bases into the DNA molecule, so shifting the frame of the triplet code for an amino acid.’
- ‘It was as a result of research which he carried out with Dr Francis Crick that the genetic code was shown to be the triplet code, or codon.’
- ‘When the triplet codes for amino acids were determined and DNA could be sequenced, the nature of the mutation itself was established.’
- ‘Since there are only 20 amino acids, most have more than one associated triplet code.’
- ‘This suggested that the genetic code was a triplet code and therefore that a codon for phenylalanine is UUU.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.