Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Musical time with three beats to the bar.‘seven bars in triple time’
- ‘The second issue, the interpretation of time signatures and the relationship between duple and triple time, is more controversial.’
- ‘A gentle and lyrical andantino in triple time with a lilting rhythm and an emotional central section ended intimately, in stillness.’
- ‘If the number is divisible by three, then it will be triple time; if by two, duple.’
- ‘Anthems written for the Chapel Royal at this time make much use of jaunty dotted rhythms in triple time, with accompaniments, ritornellos, and overtures for violins.’
- ‘The Hambo is danced in triple time, like a waltz.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.