Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Musical time with three beats to the bar.‘seven bars in triple time’
- ‘Anthems written for the Chapel Royal at this time make much use of jaunty dotted rhythms in triple time, with accompaniments, ritornellos, and overtures for violins.’
- ‘If the number is divisible by three, then it will be triple time; if by two, duple.’
- ‘A gentle and lyrical andantino in triple time with a lilting rhythm and an emotional central section ended intimately, in stillness.’
- ‘The second issue, the interpretation of time signatures and the relationship between duple and triple time, is more controversial.’
- ‘The Hambo is danced in triple time, like a waltz.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.