One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colourless orange-flavoured liqueur.
- ‘The deceptively punchy mix contains tequila, triple sec and the City Cafe's own sour mix, and you can choose between a frozen or shaken version.’
- ‘More adventurous chefs might add a bit of triple sec to the mix.’
- ‘Pour triple sec, lime juice and pomegranate juice into a cocktail shaker half-full with ice, and then add Jose Cuervo Especial.’
- ‘It is the flavour you want in a classic Margarita, the great tequila cocktail that blends fresh lime juice, salt, triple sec and tequila into a razor-edged reviver that can pick up the longest day.’
- ‘Let's see: it was orange vodka, triple sec, and simple syrup.’
- ‘Pour the vodka and triple sec into a cocktail shaker.’
- ‘Dennis also uses melons to infuse tequila, though he usually adds a bit of triple sec to the resulting drink to make the taste a bit smoother.’
- ‘For a simple dessert or brunch treat toss fresh berries with orange juice or triple sec.’
- ‘Liqueurs commonly made this way include triple sec, cassis, Cointreau, Grand Mariner and so forth.’
- ‘Add 2/3 cup tequila, 1/3 cup triple sec, and a 6-ounce can of frozen limeade concentrate.’
- ‘For instance, the Margarita, Sidecar, Kamikaze, Cosmopolitan, Metropolitan and Pink Lemonade all contain triple sec and a fruit juice, with some calling for cranberry juice mainly as a color-additive.’
- ‘‘Sometimes I place a floater of triple sec on top,’ he says.’
- ‘The Margarita didn't have enough triple sec in it.’
- ‘The Sidecar's ingredients - brandy, triple sec and lemon juice - play the same roles as the rum, syrup and lime of the Daiquiri.’
- ‘This quest can be extremely frustrating, as the right balance between tequila, triple sec, lime, salt and ice is hard to find.’
- ‘For the Martini, pour the bourbon, syrup and triple sec over ice in a mixing glass and stir.’
- ‘The label reveals premium tequila, lime juice, wines and spirits, but does not mention triple sec or Cointreau (no doubt too expensive) nor the quantity of PT.’
- ‘In a 4-cup glass measure stir together 1/2 cup lime juice; 1 cup orange-flavored liqueur, such as Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or triple sec; and 1 cup good-quality tequila.’
- ‘In a pitcher, mix 1 1/4 cups orange juice, 1 cup lime juice, 1 cup tequila, and 1/2 cup triple sec.’
Late 19th century: sec, French, ‘dry’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.