One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An award or honour for winning a group of three important events in a sport, in particular (in rugby union) victory by one of the four British home countries over all the other three in the same season.‘the surfing year would finally culminate with the Hawaiian Triple Crown’
- ‘The Breeder's Cup, not the Triple Crown, is the sport's true golden ring.’
- ‘At international level the national side had its best season since the glory Triple Crown days of the 1980s and at European and Celtic League levels, the Irish provinces are feared.’
- ‘Based on their strong starts, seven players have a chance to make a run at the Triple Crown this season.’
- ‘There probably won't be a Triple Crown winner in the majors this season, but a few players have a chance in the minors.’
- ‘And within two seasons of winning a Triple Crown in 1985, he had become ostracised by the decision-making core among the players.’
2The papal tiara.
- ‘The pope is most often depicted in art wearing his crown, the Tiara, called the triple crown.’
- ‘The art book ‘Treasures of the Vatican’ has a photograph of this statue wearing vestments of gold and scarlet, and a gold triple crown that is studded with large jewels.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.