Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of peptides containing three amino-acid residues in the molecule.
- ‘The protein source of peptide-based formulas is hydrolyzed protein, dipeptides or tripeptides, or free amino acids.’
- ‘In our laboratory, we have started a series of investigations on various tripeptides to further characterize the physical basis of these interactions.’
- ‘An important antioxidant is the tripeptide y-glutamyl-cysteine-glycine or reduced glutathione.’
- ‘Under the right conditions, the condensation continues, with a dipeptide reacting with a third amino acid to form a tripeptide and releasing another water molecule, and so on.’
- ‘Glutathione is a tripeptide whose antioxidant activity is well recognized in different biological systems, and its level may reflect the cellular oxidative status.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.