One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A period of three months, especially as a division of the duration of pregnancy.
- ‘There is no evidence that vaccination in the first trimester of pregnancy is unsafe.’
- ‘Additional information, such as use during pregnancy, can be monitored, and data on the use of certain drugs during the first trimester of pregnancy have been published.’
- ‘Women in the first trimester of pregnancy who were undergoing medical abortion were the participants.’
- ‘More American women than ever are getting prenatal care in their first trimester of pregnancy.’
- ‘Placental tissue of a foetus aborted during the first trimester of pregnancy was tested for CMV infection.’
- ‘It may be more obvious in women taking oral contraceptives and during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy.’
- ‘Her mother, an anaesthetist, is in the second trimester of pregnancy.’
- ‘Mothers were interviewed during the third trimester of pregnancy and one year after the birth.’
- ‘Transmission of the organism to the fetus usually takes place in the third trimester of pregnancy.’
- ‘In the second pregnancy trimester abnormal amniotic fetal cells can be detected.’
- ‘Women who will be beyond the first trimester of pregnancy during the influenza season should receive the vaccination.’
- ‘In terms of congenital defects, the first trimester of pregnancy is the exposure period of interest.’
- ‘The doctor will carefully track the size and well-being of the fetus, especially during the third trimester of pregnancy.’
- ‘Normal values for ambulatory blood pressure in the pregnant population are available, and the changes in pressure which occur during the trimesters of pregnancy and in the postpartum period have been defined.’
- ‘Between 50 and 80 percent of women experience nausea and vomiting during the first trimester of pregnancy.’
- ‘Folic acid supplements are recommended for women trying to conceive and during the first trimester of pregnancy.’
- ‘Because of normal variations in the size of infants during the third trimester, dating the pregnancy during this period is less reliable.’
- ‘Weeks 0 to 13 are known as the first trimester of pregnancy.’
- ‘Some cases of cerebral palsy are caused by brain damage during the last trimester of pregnancy or around the time of birth.’
- ‘The researchers also found that cold temperatures in the third trimester of pregnancy caused birthweight to drop.’
- 1.1North American Each of the three terms in an academic year.
academic year, school yearView synonyms
- ‘Other schools are experimenting with trimesters.’
- ‘I also went to music school for two trimesters in between semesters in college.’
- ‘8am lectures and compulsory study sessions in the third trimester are also unpopular.’
- ‘After the first trimester at Royce High School, I'd turned sixteen and dropped out.’
- ‘She was on her first trimester (not for school) and was practically out of work when the loser bailed.’
Early 19th century: from French trimestre, from Latin trimestris, from tri- ‘three’ + mensis ‘month’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.