Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fossil marine arthropod that occurred abundantly during the Palaeozoic era, with a carapace over the forepart, and a segmented hind part divided longitudinally into three lobes.
- ‘In recent years Cambrian trilobites and brachiopods have been discovered in Bhutan, close to the eastern syntaxis of the Himalaya.’
- ‘These fossils include graptolites, trilobites, and various types of microfossils visible only under the microscope.’
- ‘Some studies that dealt mostly with Upper Cambrian and Lower Ordovician trilobites included descriptions of brachiopods.’
- ‘Clearly visible within the imprint were the remains of trilobites, extinct marine arthropods.’
- ‘But in fact, there are very distinct patterns found in the fossil record of trilobites.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin Trilobites, from Greek tri- three + lobos lobe.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.