Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fossil marine arthropod that occurred abundantly during the Palaeozoic era, with a carapace over the forepart, and a segmented hind part divided longitudinally into three lobes.
- ‘These fossils include graptolites, trilobites, and various types of microfossils visible only under the microscope.’
- ‘In recent years Cambrian trilobites and brachiopods have been discovered in Bhutan, close to the eastern syntaxis of the Himalaya.’
- ‘But in fact, there are very distinct patterns found in the fossil record of trilobites.’
- ‘Some studies that dealt mostly with Upper Cambrian and Lower Ordovician trilobites included descriptions of brachiopods.’
- ‘Clearly visible within the imprint were the remains of trilobites, extinct marine arthropods.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin Trilobites, from Greek tri- three + lobos lobe.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.