One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The tragedy has raised concerns about the safety of trikes, particularly in Blackpool where purpose-built trikes have been given the council's go-ahead for use as taxis from next Easter.’
- ‘All the kit will be moved back to the UK where we will run a slimmed down winter operation in the UK with the two trikes before investing in new ones for 2004.’
- ‘The youngsters brought their own trikes and bikes to school earlier this month and each completed a lap of the specially constructed wheely trail’ for sponsor money.’
- ‘However, the bid that was accepted by the plenary was based upon both car towing and individual nations hiring dedicated trikes so this facility must remain.’
- ‘He added that it has been fascinating to see children being brought in for their first trikes and go up through bigger bikes until they are bringing their own children in.’
- ‘Our filming trike was not really a trike because it had four wheels.’
- ‘The day could be summarised as: tandems are harder than they look, sit-up-and-beg bikes cause pain, and recumbent trikes are great fun.’
- ‘Some went on trikes when they were young and rode bikes as they grew older.’
- ‘About 100 bikes and trikes joined the 60-mile run to meet other bikers in Blackpool, bringing the Golden Mile to a standstill.’
- ‘He unscrewed handlebars and wheels etc. and fitted the two trikes neatly in the boot.’
- ‘He's also becoming addicted to hang gliding (which we'll review in due course), and he tinkers with bikes and trikes.’
- ‘Last year's event attracted 170 bikes including vintage, classic, trikes, custom, touring and sports models and £19,000 was raised for local charities.’
- ‘Other events tomorrow include a vintage cycle display, tandem and trike racing and grass track racing.’
- ‘If we were staying here I'd trade my bike in for a trike and, depending on the location, I may well do that when we fetch up some place new.’
- ‘In overtaking a fully aware child on a bike or trike, the child's tendency to twist around and watch you over his or her shoulder causes the bike to swerve across your path just as you attempt to pass.’
- ‘All the kids go around the block driving patriotically festooned bikes and trikes.’
- ‘High winds and torrential rain made conditions difficult but seven bikers and a trike took part in what has become an annual event.’
2A kind of ultralight aircraft.
- ‘Sport aircraft in the weight-shift control category are motorized hang gliders that are commonly referred to as trikes.’
- ‘It's great to see trike pilots and hang glider pilots working so closely together.’
- ‘Their ‘flight park’ consists of two contains that hold the trike and their gliders.’
- ‘There will be media teams on the ground and also in the air flying in two trikes and a helicopter which will follow the whole circuit making the coverage for many local and international TV channels.’
- ‘I have been looking at motors for trikes since the ultralight motors from Europe are noisy and expensive.’
- ‘I think a better tug would be a fancily flapped ultralight or a very large yet lightweight hang glider trike.’
- ‘Leaving aside trikes, most flying is either coastal or inland towing, because, as you know, Australia doesn't have a real lot of good inland mountain sites in reasonable proximity to major population centres.’
- ‘We know which modules need to be mixed and matched to get ratings for airplanes, trikes, gyroplanes, airships, etc.’
- ‘Non motorized trikes will be made for use under the hang glider wings.’
- ‘Though Johnson keeps busy giving lessons at his family's farm near Asotin and traveling around the country to sell ultralights, hang gliders, and trikes, he looks forward to the next project that will have him up in the air with the birds.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.