Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A thyroid hormone similar to thyroxine but having greater potency.
- ‘The vertebrate thyroid gland produces two iodinated amino acids, thyroxine and triiodothyronine, which regulate diverse aspects of development, metabolic stimulation and metamorphosis.’
- ‘Thyroid-function test findings might be consistent with the euthyroid sick syndrome, with low triiodothyronine and thyroxine levels and a normal thyroid-stimulating hormone level.’
- ‘Human beings require iodine for the production of the thyroid hormones, thyroxine and triiodothyronine.’
- ‘The thyroid hormones thyroxine and triiodothyronine are iodinated amino acid derivatives formed by oxidative coupling of two iodinated tyrosine residues in the thyroid protein thyroglobulin.’
- ‘Subclinical thyroid dysfunction, with abnormal thyroid-stimulating hormone and normal free thyroxine and triiodothyronine levels, also is associated with cardiac changes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.