One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of mathematics dealing with the relations of the sides and angles of triangles and with the relevant functions of any angles.
- ‘Indians also added to our knowledge of even more complicated branches of mathematics such as trigonometry and calculus.’
- ‘If you were a surveyor, you could measure angles and then use high-school trigonometry to calculate distances.’
- ‘There he gave courses on astronomy, celestial mechanics, the differential and integral calculus, the theory of probability, geometry and trigonometry.’
- ‘Geometry, and its branch trigonometry, was the mathematics Indian astronomers used most frequently.’
- ‘He would have an easier time teaching them trigonometry than the triangle.’
- ‘Lexell made major contributions to spherical geometry and trigonometry.’
- ‘This work is really the first in history on trigonometry as an independent branch of pure mathematics and the first in which all six cases for a right-angled spherical triangle are set forth.’
- ‘Omar Khayyam, known chiefly in Europe as a poet, combined trigonometry and approximation theory to solve algebraic equations using geometry.’
- ‘Moore wrote the sections on arithmetic, geometry, trigonometry and cosmography while the sections on algebra, Euclid and navigation were written by Perkins.’
- ‘My math class, trigonometry, will probably be the hardest one.’
- ‘William's father wrote a number of successful textbooks on arithmetic, calculus and trigonometry, which brought in a comfortable income for the family.’
- ‘He graduated in 1860 with an outstanding report, which mentioned in particular his exceptional skills in mathematics, in particular trigonometry.’
- ‘In fact without the aid of the sine function and trigonometry it is hard to see how Hypsicles could have done better.’
- ‘With an interest in trigonometry, mathematical instruments, astronomy, and geography, Regiomontanus was in a good position to give a lead.’
- ‘He studied a lot of mathematics in his own time including trigonometry, differential and integral calculus, and complex numbers long before he met these topics in his formal education.’
- ‘Cavalieri also wrote on conic sections, trigonometry, optics, astronomy, and astrology.’
- ‘Because of the clarity and care with which his elementary texts on analytic geometry and trigonometry were written they are still in demand.’
- ‘Most of his papers are solutions to problems posed by Euler on spherical geometry, trigonometry, series, differential geometry and differential equations.’
- ‘Omar Khayyam combined the use of trigonometry and approximation theory to provide methods of solving algebraic equations by geometrical means.’
- ‘Slowly Caroline turned more and more towards helping William with his astronomical activities while he continued to teach her algebra, geometry and trigonometry.’
Early 17th century: from modern Latin trigonometria (see trigon, -metry).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.