One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Divide into three branches or forks.‘her watch slipped around to where a blue vein trifurcated’‘twigs on the trifurcated structure’
- ‘On the other hand, subtrees) and) are trifurcating, and we need to resolve them to find the optimal tree.’
- ‘The latter differs, however, in having bifurcating rays in addition to trifurcating rays.’
- ‘In the ventral part, the costae are bi- or trifurcated.’
- ‘The crests are strongest at the apex of each cusp, and become weaker as they bifurcate or trifurcate towards the base of the crown.’
- ‘With this change in focus, the traditional CIO becomes trifurcated into three core roles, sometimes fulfilled by a single senior IT executive and sometimes emerging as three separate job titles.’
- ‘What do you think of the plan to trifurcate Kashmir?’
- ‘The highly centralized hub-and-spoke system - centralized for the airlines, not us - now regularly bifurcates and often trifurcates even an hour's flight time as the crow flies into a four-hour series of legs.’
- ‘In a statement he described the proposal as a conspiracy by vested interests to trifurcate the state in political terms.’
- ‘In Fig 3A, estimates of F are shown for a population that trifurcated (scenario III).’
- ‘The screen is neatly trifurcated to allow viewing of multiple Web pages, each of which can be properly thought of as containing an ‘original work of authorship.’’
Divided into three branches or forks.
- ‘The medial imprint also has a trifurcate anterior margin.’
- ‘Ray repeatedly as many as five times trifurcate at their tips.’
- ‘Bittner separated his specimens of tyrolensiform daonellids found in the Himalayas from D. (A.) tyrolensis based on their lack of a regular pattern of trifurcate costae.’
- ‘The ventral lobe in different species may be simple, bifurcate, or even trifurcate.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin trifurcus ‘three-forked’ (from tri- ‘three’ + furca ‘fork’) + -ate.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.