Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of a compound leaf) having three leaflets.‘dark green trifoliate leaves’
- ‘Resistance was evaluated by immersion for 10 d at the second trifoliate leaf stage.’
- ‘Water-stressed plots were sufficiently watered until plants were on their third trifoliate leaf, and then 50% of the available water capacity (20% w/v water in soil) was maintained until harvest.’
- ‘The trifoliate leaves turn brilliant shades of red and orange in autumn but the cinnamon-brown peeling bark makes it worth viewing at any time of the year.’
- ‘Mexican orange is another good hedging plant, with glossy trifoliate evergreen leaves that release the fragrance of orange peel when pruned.’
- ‘The disease progresses up the plant and the trifoliate leaves soon develop symptoms with lesions, initially appearing as irregular light brown spots and later turning a blackish-brown color.’
- ‘For P. vulgaris, plants were pruned to leave the primary and second trifoliate leaves supporting a single pod arising from the axis of trifoliate leaf 3.’
- ‘The second method is the foliar application of 4 to 8 pounds of manganese sulfate when the plants have two or three trifoliate leaves.’
- ‘Most alternative herbicide programs require seedling alfalfa to have at least two to four trifoliate leaves before applying treatments.’
- ‘Shoots with 1-2 trifoliate leaves of 3-week-old seedlings were incubated in microtitre plate wells with assay solution in a growth chamber, 16/8 h day/night regime, 21°C.’
- ‘At the emergence of the second trifoliate leaf, uniformly sized seedlings were selected and transplanted to 4.0 l pails (4 plants per container) filled with aerated modified 50% Hoagland's solution.’
- ‘The trifoliate leaflets are closed as in nyctinasty.’
- ‘The trifoliate leaf where the egg hatched and the larva began feeding will wilt and die.’
- 1.1(of a plant) having trifoliate leaves.‘the trifoliate orange appreciates an acidic soil’
- ‘But for ARS horticulturalist Robert R. Krueger, the genus Citrus includes at least 16 species, with hundreds of distant relatives, including lesser-known, peelable oddities like pummelos, trifoliate oranges, and kumquats.’
- ‘(See the May 25 Crop Watch) Soybeans should be kept free of weed competition from the 2nd trifoliate stage to beginning bloom.’
- ‘Four weeks after planting, samples of six trifoliate plants were transplanted to 4-l containers that were purged by ambient air.’
- 1.2(of an object or design) having the form of a trifoliate leaf.‘a bronze trifoliate key handle’
- ‘It may be as well to mention an early Venetian design of about 1475 wherein the Emperor has a three-pointed trifoliate crown surmounted by a trefoil.’
- ‘We are proud to offer for sale, a lovely piece of early Van Briggle pottery, circa 1915 in a stunning Arts and Crafts trifoliate design.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.