Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a stain or method of histological staining in which different tissues are stained, each in one of three different colours.
- ‘Acid-fast and parasite trichrome stains of lung biopsy specimens were negative, as were direct fluorescent antibody stains for legionella and pneumocystis carinii.’
- ‘This fibrosis was further appreciated by trichrome stain.’
- ‘New and practical staining techniques on frozen tissues, such as modified trichrome and crystal violet stains, are welcome additions.’
- ‘The clear cells possessed abundant finely reticulated clear cytoplasm, which was highlighted by trichrome stain and immunostaining with antimitochondria antibody.’
- ‘Cross-striations were present within the cytoplasm on hematoxylin-eosinstained sections and were highlighted by trichrome stain.’
- ‘Elastic trichrome and trichrome stains of the liver tissue failed to show evidence of fibrosis.’
- ‘Mucicarmine, Alcian blue, elastic, and trichrome stains were used selectively to help define morphology.’
- ‘All 6 specimens containing microsporidia were positive by the AFT and the modified trichrome stains.’
- ‘The special stains used were Halle colloidal iron, trichrome stain, and mucicarmine.’
- ‘Using Masson trichrome stain and ancillary immunostains, the diagnosis of seminoma was established.’
- ‘Unlike the Azan method, the Masson trichrome stain poses no potential health risk to laboratory personnel.’
- ‘In our laboratory the trichrome stain was quite variable in its ability to stain the cytoplasm red and the collagen green.’
- ‘They stained positively with a trichrome stain and failed to mark with any of the immunohistochemical stains.’
- ‘The presence of abnormal subepithelial collagen deposition was confirmed by Masson trichrome stain; staining for amyloid with Congo red was negative.’
Early 20th century: from tri- ‘three’ + Greek khrōma colour.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.