Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A division into three categories:‘the pragmatics–semantics–syntax trichotomy’
- ‘Accordingly, we have treated these deeper relationships as unresolved, as shown by the trichotomy below these groups.’
- ‘Perhaps the most accepted and applied taxonomy of motivation is the trichotomy developed and operationalized by McClelland.’
- ‘Phylogenetic relationships inferred from hsp 82 depicted the rotifer class Seisonidea as the sister taxon of a monophyletic trichotomy that included Acanthocephala, Bdelloidea, and Monogononta.’
- ‘Early Paleozoic land plants, land animals, and paleosols have been considered in terms of the breeder-competitor-tolerator trichotomy in nonquantitative terms.’
- ‘Machiavelli relied heavily on the dichotomy between republican and princely government, Montesquieu on a trichotomy of republics, monarchies, and despotisms.’
- ‘Thus, the relationship appears to be close to a trichotomy and may prove very difficult to resolve with confidence.’
- ‘Instead, there is a trichotomy of the three lineages (Smithornis / Corvus - Vidua/remaining avian taxa).’
- ‘On the other hand, Kessing showed that the two species made an unresolved trichotomy with S. purpuratus.’
- ‘However, due to the ambiguity in the phylogenetic analyses, this divergence is shown as an unresolved trichotomy.’
- ‘The trichotomy also prevents development of any vicariance hypotheses among the three provinces.’
- ‘This level of divergence was comparable to that between A. aeneus from Costa Rica and the widespread A. mexicanus lineage, producing a trichotomy between these three lineages.’
- ‘Apparently, the coelacanth, lungfish, and tetrapod lineages diverged within such a short time interval that at this level of analysis, their relationships appear to be an irresolvable trichotomy.’
- ‘Finally, recent molecular work suggested an unresolved trichotomy between sooglossids, ranoids, and all other neobatrachians.’
- ‘This trichotomy has been reinterpreted in various ways, but it still serves.’
- ‘The interordinal phylogeny of the hemipteroid assemblage is still an unresolved trichotomy.’
- ‘The argument comes down to considering a trichotomy,’
- ‘Both clades, together with H. bastetanum, form a trichotomy that it is separate from H. suaveolens.’
- ‘In Throckmorton's scheme, D. mimica and Dorsilopha form a trichotomy together with Hirtodrosophila.’
- ‘Rather they find a trichotomy of ducks, geese, and a Cereopsis-Cnemiornis clade.’
- ‘With the absence of informative characters, these three individuals appear in a trichotomy.’
17th century: from Greek trikha threefold from treis three, on the pattern of dichotomy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.