Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of numerous minute rod-like structures, each containing a protrusible filament, found near the surface of ciliates and dinoflagellates.
- ‘Discharged trichocysts remain clustered around the cell surface and can easily be visualized under dark-field light microscopy with a x10 objective.’
- ‘The discharge or nondischarge of the trichocyst was observed by adding a drop of saturated picric acid to the cells.’
- ‘These structures do not correspond to trichocysts seen in phase micrographs (data not shown) but connect both horizontally and vertically to other vesicular-like signals.’
- ‘Most plates are penetrated by trichocyst pores which may lie in pits.’
- ‘After biogenesis, trichocysts migrate to the plasma membrane and are anchored to predetermined sites.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.