[mass noun] A colourless volatile liquid used as a solvent and formerly as an anaesthetic.
- ‘Even dry-cleaning fluid, which is generally trichloroethylene, can be made from acetylene.’
- ‘Men employed in the fur industry also proved to be at risk, possibly related to use of dyes or chemicals such as trichloroethylene.’
- ‘The same applies to the solvents, save that chloroform and trichloroethylene were handled only in small quantities for laboratory use.’
- ‘But many other chemicals linked to reproductive health problems, including xylene, trichloroethylene, phenols, and acetone, remain in use.’
- ‘Poplar plants have already been used to remove atrazine, trichloroethylene and selenium from polluted soils.’