Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Ingrowth or introversion of the eyelashes.
- ‘Adverse outcomes of interventions were corneal exposure, ulceration, phthisis bulbi, and severe recurrent trichiasis.’
- ‘The surgery is a simple procedure for realigning the inturned eyelashes of trichiasis patients.’
- ‘The breed is subject to several eye problems, however: progressive retinal atrophy, cataracts and trichiasis.’
- ‘In most populations women are as much as three times more likely to develop trichiasis than men are.’
- ‘About 7.6 million people have trachomatous trichiasis, the blinding stage of this infectious disease.’
Mid 17th century: via late Latin from Greek trikhiasis, from trikhian be hairy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.