Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument for measuring friction in sliding.
- ‘Consequently, a new method was developed by using an UHV tribometer associated with surface analytical tools to simulate the molecule chemical reactivity toward surfaces.’
- ‘The pin-on-ring tribometer is a standard configuration for tribology research on materials, coatings and lubricants.’
- ‘This tribometer evaluates the tribological characteristics of liquid lubricants for space applications.’
- ‘The established tribometers also represent a commercial opportunity for others to characterize the materials as well.’
- ‘The descriptive statistics vary with number of samples, and tribometers report average friction values based on different sample sizes.’
- ‘This standard will address a wide range of different types of tribometers, without reference to specific patented devices.’
- ‘For both tribometers, the temperature can be controlled from - 20 degrees C to 120 degrees C.’
- ‘The plain bearing tribometer allows the measurements of friction and wear parameters of a complete bearing for alternate rotations’
- ‘This is currently the only known certification program for tribometers in existence.’
- ‘The present invention relates to an improved tribometer having a sliding unit for receiving test samples.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.