One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The emission of light from a substance caused by rubbing, scratching, or similar frictional contact.
- ‘Further work will try to determine the chemical reactions occurring during triboluminescence.’
- ‘In addition, a number of these compounds showed detectable triboluminescence only in a small range of environmental gas pressure and low temperature.’
- ‘Even today we have a limited understanding of triboluminescence and much remains to be discovered.’
- ‘When the crystals are pressed or scraped with a rod, the bright green flashes of the triboluminescence will be observed.’
- ‘The English scholar Francis Bacon observed triboluminescence as he chopped blocks of cane sugar at night in 1605.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.