Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Electric charge generated by friction.
- ‘In addition, their work added considerably to the body of knowledge of triboelectricity and its effects.’
- ‘To obtain satisfactory image quality, magnetic toner preferably has a volume average particle diameter of 5-15. mu.m, a volume resistivity of 10.sup.13. OMEGA… cm or more, and a triboelectricity in an absolute value of 5-60. mu.C / g.’
- ‘Because they're high power, interference and hum are very small by comparison, so the wires can be unshielded, and triboelectricity is not a problem.’
- ‘Such a device uses electrical power to maintain a charge and overcome the temporary tendency of triboelectricity.’
- ‘These three triboeffects acoustic emission, triboelectricity and triboluminescence are coherent and all can be used for the friction interpretation as well as to their applications.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.