One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An athletic contest consisting of three different events, typically swimming, cycling, and long-distance running.
- ‘Salford hopes to become synonymous with the triathlon, and is bidding to host the 2010 World Championships.’
- ‘The swimming portion of the triathlon will take place off Pattaya Beach in front of the Pattaya Park Hotel.’
- ‘Those with questions over their performance are thought to include the triathlon, athletics, shooting and swimming.’
- ‘The Australians seem to believe in it, and used such devices during the triathlon event at the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.’
- ‘He channelled his rising anger into swimming and cycling, and soon began winning junior triathlons.’
- ‘Literally every evening the flatmates and I would gather round the TV and watch hour after hour of gymnastics, triathlons, high jump, diving, even a spot of dressage - whatever was on, we were transfixed.’
- ‘Now my journey from sceptic to fanatic is complete, cycling being one of the three events in the triathlon for which I am training.’
- ‘The swimming portion of the triathlon took place off Pattaya Beach in front of the Pattaya Park Beach Resort.’
- ‘In 1998, she began to race in triathlons and just two years later she made a second Olympic appearance, this time as a triathlete.’
- ‘Of course, many people who train successfully for marathons or long-distance triathlons never get sick.’
- ‘Prior to that the former solicitor's clerk had dabbled in water polo and the triathlon.’
- ‘The Quays triathlon also incorporates the National Championships for the first time, ensuring a bumper entry.’
- ‘He said he might run marathons or compete in triathlons to feed the competitive part of his soul.’
- ‘Chris Brogan was the only wheelchair athlete to complete the Olympic triathlon distance.’
- ‘Eric Harr has completed more than 100 triathlons, winning 30 events in 23 countries.’
- ‘It's not including her numerous medals and trophies for triathlons, pentathlons and track and field events.’
- ‘Participants will complete a normal triathlon but the swimming section will be swapped for rowing.’
- ‘I remember back in my early 20s, thinking it would be just so fantastic to go the Olympic Games, and back then I was just running, and I actually took up triathlons just to cross-train to help my running, to maybe take it to that next level.’
- ‘‘They knew I was in shape, but they worried I was down to 210 pounds because of the triathlons,’ he said.’
- ‘I watch with awe as they compete in a triathlon, pentathlon or even a decathlon’
1970s: from tri- ‘three’, on the pattern of decathlon.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.