One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the earliest period of the Mesozoic era, between the Permian and Jurassic periods.See also Permo–Triassic
- ‘Triassic footprints were primarily made by early crocodilians and small dinosaurs.’
- ‘Low-angle unconformities can be observed between the Triassic and Jurassic rocks at outcrop scale.’
- ‘Triassic asteroids are among the rarest of fossils, hitherto comprised of only three genera, all from Europe.’
- ‘In the Mesozoic section, a Triassic basin, up to 1800 m thick and roughly circular in map view, is centred SW of the present uplifted Bishri block.’
- ‘Uppermost Permian and Triassic terrestrial sediments conformably overlie the terminal volcanic rocks.’
- ‘Implicit in this emplacement model is that the Permian and Triassic plutonic complexes are tabular granites with length and width dimensions that are much greater than their thickness.’
- ‘Permian and Triassic plutonic complexes comprise monzonite, granite, granodiorite or tonalite with minor gabbro and diorite.’
- 1.1as noun the Triassic" or "the Trias The Triassic period or the system of rocks deposited during it.
- ‘Such sites are found in numerous strata of different ages throughout the triassic, jurassic and cretaceous, all of which were allegedly laid down during the flood.’
Mid 19th century: from late Latin trias (see triad), because the strata are divisible into three groups, + -ic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.