One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A marine sporting fish of the Indo-Pacific.
- ‘Maori wrasse, sweetlips, trevallies, grouper and every variety of Indo-Pacific coral browser hover around.’
- ‘Fish are everywhere, not just the current-indicating anthias but all the bigger fish, from harlequin sweetlips to trevally and grouper.’
- ‘New Zealand fish such as trevally, snapper and hoki are exported for the sashimi market to the United States.’
- ‘Dense schools of fusiliers swarm past, followed by squadrons of predators like big-eye trevally, mackerel and rainbow runners.’
- ‘The bluefin trevally is a predatory animal that feeds on other fish or crustaceans.’
Late 19th century: probably an alteration of cavally ‘horse mackerel’, from Spanish caballo ‘horse’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.