One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long lock of a woman's hair.‘her golden tresses tumbled about her face’
hair, head of hair, mane, mop of hair, shock of hairView synonyms
- ‘Taking the part meant shaving off his golden tresses and growing a tangled beard - a look that came to him in a dream.’
- ‘Molly threw back her hair in a flurry of golden tresses and whooped a bit longer.’
- ‘He had ripped away one beloved hand and only a few strands remained of the once beautiful mane of golden tresses.’
- ‘It would catch me every time - her silky golden red tresses, and that enchanting smile that shone right through her phenomenal hazel eyes.’
- ‘She replied calmly, the blonde tresses curled in adorable ringlets around her making her face glow.’
- ‘She reached up and pulled off the black wig, and her long golden tresses tumbled around her shoulders.’
- ‘He took out her hair clip and Chloe's golden tresses fell to her shoulders.’
- ‘Then, he noticed it; someone had taken the golden tresses and tied them back into a ponytail.’
- ‘Her life is almost as golden as her streaked tresses.’
- ‘On the hearth were thick tresses - very thick tresses - of gray human hair.’
- ‘He hauled himself into a sitting position, his wealth of black tresses tumbling down his back and framing his face in a lustrous purple-black surround.’
- ‘A large, heavy wig of golden tresses adorned her head, making her appear to be taller than she truly was.’
- ‘Jill ran her fingers through the long blond tresses a few times for good measure.’
- ‘Long, golden tresses flowed down past her waist, delicate diamonds and jewels strung between each strand.’
- ‘Her golden tresses no longer incited a tremor to run through him.’
- ‘Her golden honey tresses were curled to perfection, falling around her face as if she were an angel.’
- ‘You will have to redye your tresses every six to eight weeks to maintain your color.’
- ‘Leigh on the other hand, was a tall and slender figured girl, with an olive complexion and dark violet tresses longer than her back.’
- ‘Bess was in the process of elaborately braiding her long golden tresses.’
- ‘Princesses with golden curls, a raven mane or shiny red tresses having adventures are what fairy tales are all about.’
Arrange (a person's hair) into long locks.
Middle English: from Old French tresse, perhaps based on Greek trikha ‘threefold’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.