One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British An automatic vibrator for making and breaking an electric circuit, typically used as a fuse for an explosive device sensitive to physical disturbance.
2A songbird related to the thrashers, found in the Lesser Antilles and named from its habit of violent shaking.
Genera Cinclocerthia and Ramphocinclus, family Mimidae: three species
- ‘Bond further noted that all the Antillean thrasher and trembler species have immaculate, greenish blue eggs, like those of Melanotis, Melanoptila, and Dumetella, but unlike those of any species of Mimus.’
- ‘Nonetheless, the West Indian thrashers and tremblers are so distinctive that early workers grouped them variously with the ant thrushes, ovenbirds, wrens, and thrushes.’
- ‘In the second stage of our study we increased our taxon and nucleotide sampling to assess the likelihood that Lesser Antillean tremblers and thrashers represented a monophyletic lineage.’
- ‘One of these lineages includes the three species of Mimus, the second is formed by Melanotis caerulescens, and the third comprises the catbirds and Antillean thrashers and tremblers.’
- ‘The two-cluster test did not uncover significant rate variation between a cluster composed of catbirds and Antillean thrashers and tremblers, and a second cluster including Melanotis and Mimus species.’
3informal An earthquake.
earth tremor, tremor, convulsion, shock, foreshock, aftershockView synonyms
- ‘Today's trembler was the third significant quake to hit California since Sunday.’
- ‘The professor says he can predict earthquakes by tracking tremblers and looking at historical data.’
- ‘An official at the meteorology and geophysics office here said the new trembler, measuring 5,7 on the Richter scale, jolted Aceh at about 11.52 am.’
- ‘The epicenter of the Nov. 3 trembler was about 75 miles north of Anchorage, causing multiple landslides and road closures, but minimal damage and amazingly few injuries and no deaths.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.