Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for whistling duck
- ‘Also, teal-season hunters must be cautious not to knock down brightly colored tree ducks on the prairie or mahogany-plumed mottled ducks in the marsh.’
- ‘These ducks are called woodies or tree ducks in some localities because they perch and nest in trees.’
- ‘Being a tree duck they do fly extremely well, unless pinioned, and will roost at the highest point available.’
- ‘‘We didn't take any tree ducks during that week of regular duck season,’ Tyler said.’
- ‘It is believed that tree ducks, also referred to as whistling ducks, make up a separate subfamily.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.