One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pastry tart with a filling made from golden syrup and breadcrumbs.
- ‘Britons are spurning traditional British puddings such as spotted dick, treacle tart and jam roly poly.’
- ‘The mere fact of their class assures them that sausage and mash, or treacle tart and ice cream, are rightfully, morally, their preserve.’
- ‘Oh, and there's treacle tart or very creamy home-made ices for pudding.’
- ‘If you see hot treacle tart on a menu order it fast.’
- ‘Wasabi, white miso paste and sushi rice share space with tins of golden syrup (for treacle tart) and packets of Smarties.’
- ‘On the menus, they had steam puddings, treacle tarts with custard, nothing like that namby-pamby Black Forest Gateau.’
- ‘Well, a rum baba and a treacle tart were atypically heavy.’
- ‘Puddings were the usual best-of-Brit treacle tart with anaemic, flabby pastry, and a sticky toffee pudding that was just badly made.’
- ‘Treacle tart is the name of a dish which contains absolutely no treacle at all.’
- ‘She was given coffee and a treacle tart.’
- ‘I have promised Parisian cake, Meg says she'll provide flapjack and Jo says she'll make treacle tart.’
- ‘Her favourite is rack of lamb, treacle tarts, and Irish farmhouse cheese.’
- ‘Neither of us had room for the home-made puddings, of which there was a long list, including an old favourite - treacle tart.’
- ‘Now is the time to dig out classic recipes for forgotten puddings such as treacle tart, Eve's pudding, lemon Meringue pie and Bakewell tart.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the kitchen was closed and while others had sandwiches that were available, I was forced (yeah right) to chose some treacle tart.’
- ‘We had sandwiches and grapes and treacle tart - all the ingredients of an traditional picnic - while the cats stalked around the garden.’
- ‘For the second time in recent months Michael Winner castigates a treacle tart for its lack of treacle.’
- ‘In the first programme, Heston tried his hand at two dishes: sausage and mash, and treacle tart with ice cream.’
- ‘I've been going to Langan's for maybe 25 years and I've never been disappointed - they do great puddings, treacle tart and gorgeous custard today.’
- ‘He drove the baker's van, and was Ernie's rival for the widow's affections, offering her treacle tarts and hot meat pies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.