One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pastry tart with a filling made from golden syrup and breadcrumbs.
- ‘Neither of us had room for the home-made puddings, of which there was a long list, including an old favourite - treacle tart.’
- ‘Puddings were the usual best-of-Brit treacle tart with anaemic, flabby pastry, and a sticky toffee pudding that was just badly made.’
- ‘Well, a rum baba and a treacle tart were atypically heavy.’
- ‘Wasabi, white miso paste and sushi rice share space with tins of golden syrup (for treacle tart) and packets of Smarties.’
- ‘We had sandwiches and grapes and treacle tart - all the ingredients of an traditional picnic - while the cats stalked around the garden.’
- ‘Treacle tart is the name of a dish which contains absolutely no treacle at all.’
- ‘For the second time in recent months Michael Winner castigates a treacle tart for its lack of treacle.’
- ‘I've been going to Langan's for maybe 25 years and I've never been disappointed - they do great puddings, treacle tart and gorgeous custard today.’
- ‘If you see hot treacle tart on a menu order it fast.’
- ‘She was given coffee and a treacle tart.’
- ‘In the first programme, Heston tried his hand at two dishes: sausage and mash, and treacle tart with ice cream.’
- ‘Oh, and there's treacle tart or very creamy home-made ices for pudding.’
- ‘I have promised Parisian cake, Meg says she'll provide flapjack and Jo says she'll make treacle tart.’
- ‘He drove the baker's van, and was Ernie's rival for the widow's affections, offering her treacle tarts and hot meat pies.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the kitchen was closed and while others had sandwiches that were available, I was forced (yeah right) to chose some treacle tart.’
- ‘On the menus, they had steam puddings, treacle tarts with custard, nothing like that namby-pamby Black Forest Gateau.’
- ‘The mere fact of their class assures them that sausage and mash, or treacle tart and ice cream, are rightfully, morally, their preserve.’
- ‘Her favourite is rack of lamb, treacle tarts, and Irish farmhouse cheese.’
- ‘Britons are spurning traditional British puddings such as spotted dick, treacle tart and jam roly poly.’
- ‘Now is the time to dig out classic recipes for forgotten puddings such as treacle tart, Eve's pudding, lemon Meringue pie and Bakewell tart.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.