One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘I felt a little uncharitable: maybe they were just honest but hard-up Grimsby trawlermen, reduced to hawking their catch on the streets.’
- ‘In the 1990s, when increasingly stringent regulations to protect the fisheries were being imposed, tempers among trawlermen who felt their livelihoods threatened often became frayed, leading to high-profile confrontations.’
- ‘Shellfish is a sustainable fishery and the trawlermen saw that, called it a day and are reaping the rewards.’
- ‘The Government compensation is for trawlermen hit by the Cod Wars in the 1970s when the industry collapsed because the British fleet was barred from Icelandic waters.’
- ‘Life as a Grimsby trawlerman has never been easy, but the rewards were still there 100 years ago.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.