One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fishing boat used for trawling.
- ‘The boat was an old trawler, something more for fisherman than pleasure cruising.’
- ‘Confirmation of the severity of the storm arrived in the shape of a fishing trawler coming in to find shelter.’
- ‘The number of trawlers calling at Lerwick harbour has stabilised in 2004 following a period of decline.’
- ‘The Japanese ships pursued the trawler and captured it several hours later.’
- ‘Coastal fishing communities had been protesting the invasion of their fishing grounds by the trawlers.’
- ‘For the men who work the fishing trawlers, it is a life of hardship and endurance.’
- ‘They said the fate of fishing trawlers out at sea at the time of the tidal waves was not yet known.’
- ‘The industry was in its heyday - stacks of fish back to back the length of the quay, off a long line of trawlers newly returned from the far North.’
- ‘The Government has agreed to decommission 11 trawlers in Grimsby and four in Scarborough.’
- ‘Stowed away aboard trawlers and ferries, animal travellers have descended upon the islands for many years.’
- ‘Seven battleships, six cruisers and several torpedo boats steamed among the trawlers.’
- ‘If you're any distance from the coast, keep your eyes open for bigger passenger boats or trawlers.’
- ‘A fishing trawler off the Outer Hebrides broadcast a Mayday after their engine room and fish hold flooded.’
- ‘Euro-MPs are today debating proposals to give trawlers from Spain unlimited fishing rights to nearby Irish waters.’
- ‘The crew of the trawler had abandoned ship and the vessel was listing badly.’
- ‘With the Australians in charge the trawler and the chase ship then turned to re-cross the Indian Ocean.’
- ‘It had more fish, too, although sections were severely impacted by the armada of trawlers and fishing camps.’
- ‘The fishing trawler then proceeded towards Peterhead where the rescued fishermen were landed.’
- ‘It came, instead, on a fishing trawler plying its trade in the unforgiving waters off the west coast.’
- ‘Agreement has been reached with our trawlers and Australian Fisheries to make this devise compulsory.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.