Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fishing boat used for trawling.
- ‘Stowed away aboard trawlers and ferries, animal travellers have descended upon the islands for many years.’
- ‘It came, instead, on a fishing trawler plying its trade in the unforgiving waters off the west coast.’
- ‘If you're any distance from the coast, keep your eyes open for bigger passenger boats or trawlers.’
- ‘The fishing trawler then proceeded towards Peterhead where the rescued fishermen were landed.’
- ‘The Government has agreed to decommission 11 trawlers in Grimsby and four in Scarborough.’
- ‘The number of trawlers calling at Lerwick harbour has stabilised in 2004 following a period of decline.’
- ‘Seven battleships, six cruisers and several torpedo boats steamed among the trawlers.’
- ‘For the men who work the fishing trawlers, it is a life of hardship and endurance.’
- ‘The industry was in its heyday - stacks of fish back to back the length of the quay, off a long line of trawlers newly returned from the far North.’
- ‘Agreement has been reached with our trawlers and Australian Fisheries to make this devise compulsory.’
- ‘It had more fish, too, although sections were severely impacted by the armada of trawlers and fishing camps.’
- ‘Confirmation of the severity of the storm arrived in the shape of a fishing trawler coming in to find shelter.’
- ‘With the Australians in charge the trawler and the chase ship then turned to re-cross the Indian Ocean.’
- ‘A fishing trawler off the Outer Hebrides broadcast a Mayday after their engine room and fish hold flooded.’
- ‘The boat was an old trawler, something more for fisherman than pleasure cruising.’
- ‘The Japanese ships pursued the trawler and captured it several hours later.’
- ‘The crew of the trawler had abandoned ship and the vessel was listing badly.’
- ‘Euro-MPs are today debating proposals to give trawlers from Spain unlimited fishing rights to nearby Irish waters.’
- ‘Coastal fishing communities had been protesting the invasion of their fishing grounds by the trawlers.’
- ‘They said the fate of fishing trawlers out at sea at the time of the tidal waves was not yet known.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.