Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A wave in which the positions of maximum and minimum amplitude travel through the medium.
- ‘With this setup it is possible to initiate traveling waves and to control the wave velocity.’
- ‘In effect, they trade the translational kinetic energy of a traveling wave for more displacement energy in a standing wave.’
- ‘In the actual system, the aft half of the body undulates with a traveling wave of increasing amplitude envelope as described in Anderson and Kerrebrock.’
- ‘In the middle phase, cooperators form traveling waves that are eroded on one side by new defectors and built up on the other by converted loners.’
- ‘The significance of local resonance in the cochlea has been well recognized, and local resonance can be considered as a limit where the traveling wave's group velocity substantially decreases while within a region of very light damping.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.