Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of items of popular culture) of poor quality.‘trashy novels and formulaic movies’
substandard, below standard, below par, bad, deficient, defective, faulty, imperfect, inferior, mediocreView synonyms
- ‘The frame is eye-blindingly bright in trashy neon yellow and the soft thermal lens is tinted orange for your viewing pleasure.’
- ‘They want to stress that it looks trashy if you wear the shortest skirts and look tacky.’
- ‘Where footnotes are concerned, it's a bit like trashy novels or violent films.’
- ‘For others it's a certain type of bubble bath, a much-watched DVD or a collection of trashy novels.’
- ‘Will it be out with trashy makeover and reality shows and in with quality programming?’
- ‘This is no longer only the obsession of trashy magazines and tabloids.’
- ‘It was a pity that such wretched, trashy, horrible publications could not be stopped.’
- ‘And the Thriller-like corpse of my trashy, teenage self has risen from the dead and is doing a little dance inside me.’
- ‘Propped up on the orange juice jug in front of her was a thin, trashy romance novel.’
- ‘It was the sort of old fashioned love that silly girls read about in those trashy novels.’
- ‘Damn our trashy, hypocritical, out-of-date British newspapers, and the foolish people who buy them!’
- ‘It's all very trashy and pathetic with court rooms and smashed chairs.’
- ‘Old soldiers never die, they live on to settle outstanding scores in their trashy memoirs.’
- ‘Although the plot is trashy and derivative, this film has some merit as a brutally effective series of gore and shocks.’
- ‘And I do like watching trashy movies, things you wouldn't normally admit to.’
- ‘He had read enough trashy fantasy novels to know that castles didn't have electricity.’
- ‘Hollywood idols are the gods of today, trashy tabloids and offensive pictorial covers can attest to that.’
- ‘This is her way of countering criticism of her books as gossipy, trashy hack-work with poor sourcing.’
- ‘Exploitation movies are often criticized as trashy, but poor taste is an elitist concept.’
- ‘It's very entertaining to watch and read, and cheaper even than a trashy romance novel.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.