One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of a pair of large triangular muscles extending over the back of the neck and shoulders and moving the head and shoulder blade.
- ‘The primary interest of the present study was to compare the muscle recruitment patterns of the trapezius and deltoid muscles in patients with shoulder impingement with the patterns of subjects who had healthy shoulders.’
- ‘With the upper trapezius, the levator scapula lifts your shoulder blades.’
- ‘The main upper-back muscles are the trapezius, rhomboids and levator scapulae.’
- ‘The third part of the artery may be covered by the trapezius or sternocleidomastoid, or by the clavicular origin of the omohyoid.’
- ‘In particular, the external rotator muscles and the lower trapezius muscle are the focus of the eccentric program.’
Early 18th century: from modern Latin, from Greek trapezion ‘trapezium’ (because of the shape formed by the muscles).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.