Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Dislike of or prejudice against transsexual or transgender people.‘more than 120 complaints concerning transphobia in the media were made’
- ‘The most emotionally challenging part for me was the transphobia I encountered from the court attorney who represented me at my arraignment.’
- ‘But it's not just homophobia or transphobia that these men are reacting to so violently: their whole masculinity is at stake.’
- ‘As a community, we in Michigan are committed to fighting prejudice and ignorance of all kinds; we do not want to see transphobia fostered here or anywhere.’
- ‘Supporters plan to fill the courtroom to let the courts know that transphobia is the crime.’
- ‘I suffered almost none of the transphobia in the greater world they constantly are complaining about.’
- ‘In the past Stonewall put out leaflets describing what transphobia is and what should be done to stop it.’
- ‘He grew up in Northern Ontario, an environment where, according to the student, homophobia and transphobia were prevalent.’
- ‘You're rationalizing your transphobia and imposing your worldview on trans people, by assigning motives and politics to them that they may not have.’
- ‘Trans people get to put up with transphobia on a routine basis, whether it's aimed directly at us, or it's simply expressed around us.’
- ‘If you don't like transphobia, if you think that whipping up hate against a gender minority is bad, if you'd like to show your support, then go along and join them.’
- ‘Because of violence against women, some extremists use transphobia as a tool to exclude transgendered women based on the perception that they once were men.’
- ‘In their quest for high ratings and profits, the show's producers didn't care that these women were strung around like puppets in a tasteless show that perpetuated transphobia and racism.’
- ‘The assumption is, if there is this kind of violence - if it's recognised as a hate crime at all - it's often seen as something that has to do with homophobia, rather than transphobia.’
- ‘Trans people do not find great enjoyment in randomly accusing people of transphobia, and would rather not have to bring it up.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.