One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Dislike of or prejudice against transsexual or transgender people.‘more than 120 complaints concerning transphobia in the media were made’
- ‘I suffered almost none of the transphobia in the greater world they constantly are complaining about.’
- ‘Trans people get to put up with transphobia on a routine basis, whether it's aimed directly at us, or it's simply expressed around us.’
- ‘In their quest for high ratings and profits, the show's producers didn't care that these women were strung around like puppets in a tasteless show that perpetuated transphobia and racism.’
- ‘Because of violence against women, some extremists use transphobia as a tool to exclude transgendered women based on the perception that they once were men.’
- ‘But it's not just homophobia or transphobia that these men are reacting to so violently: their whole masculinity is at stake.’
- ‘In the past Stonewall put out leaflets describing what transphobia is and what should be done to stop it.’
- ‘As a community, we in Michigan are committed to fighting prejudice and ignorance of all kinds; we do not want to see transphobia fostered here or anywhere.’
- ‘Trans people do not find great enjoyment in randomly accusing people of transphobia, and would rather not have to bring it up.’
- ‘You're rationalizing your transphobia and imposing your worldview on trans people, by assigning motives and politics to them that they may not have.’
- ‘The assumption is, if there is this kind of violence - if it's recognised as a hate crime at all - it's often seen as something that has to do with homophobia, rather than transphobia.’
- ‘The most emotionally challenging part for me was the transphobia I encountered from the court attorney who represented me at my arraignment.’
- ‘If you don't like transphobia, if you think that whipping up hate against a gender minority is bad, if you'd like to show your support, then go along and join them.’
- ‘Supporters plan to fill the courtroom to let the courts know that transphobia is the crime.’
- ‘He grew up in Northern Ontario, an environment where, according to the student, homophobia and transphobia were prevalent.’
1990s: from trans + phobia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.