One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person passing through a country or region in the course of emigrating to another region.
- ‘The transmigrants, mostly from overcrowded areas of urban Java, were generally dumped in the jungle with a few hundred dollars and told to farm.’
- ‘The government provided facilities to the transmigrants.’
- ‘Some 35 families are local resettlers (Irian Jaya families), while the rest are transmigrants from Java.’
- ‘Living outside the biosphere are mostly transmigrants and the indigenous people that capitalists from the city often hire to fell trees in the forest.’
- ‘Since 1945, Austria has accepted immigrants, refugees, and transmigrants seeking political asylum from Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union.’
Early 17th century: from Latin transmigrant- ‘migrating across’, from the verb transmigrare (see transmigrate).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.