Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An enzyme which catalyses the transfer of an alcohol group between sugar molecules.
- ‘While enzyme activities of the transketolase in red can be assayed, this is rarely necessary in view of clinical and MRI findings.’
- ‘We also observed an increase in the levels of transketolase, an enzyme that is involved in glucose metabolism, although not being a part of the glycolytic pathway.’
- ‘We also observed that the allergic inflammation results in increases in transketolase, an enzyme that previously has been suggested to be upregulated by hypoxia.’
- ‘An opposite tendency was observed for genes of the second group, which were repressed in control embryos and included a transketolase, a fructokinase, and an aconitase hydratase.’
- ‘Thiamine deficiency has been documented in 38 percent of a sample of 37 anorexics using erythrocyte transketolase activation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.