Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An enzyme which catalyses the transfer of an alcohol group between sugar molecules.
- ‘We also observed that the allergic inflammation results in increases in transketolase, an enzyme that previously has been suggested to be upregulated by hypoxia.’
- ‘Thiamine deficiency has been documented in 38 percent of a sample of 37 anorexics using erythrocyte transketolase activation.’
- ‘We also observed an increase in the levels of transketolase, an enzyme that is involved in glucose metabolism, although not being a part of the glycolytic pathway.’
- ‘An opposite tendency was observed for genes of the second group, which were repressed in control embryos and included a transketolase, a fructokinase, and an aconitase hydratase.’
- ‘While enzyme activities of the transketolase in red can be assayed, this is rarely necessary in view of clinical and MRI findings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.