Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The set of transition metals.
- ‘All elements of the transition series are part of a trimembrate apparatus of geniculate elements, two of which are modified tertiopedate, and the third is alate.’
- ‘The molecular developmental data provide a transition series in the evolution of feathers and feather branched complexity that is based entirely on the molecular developmental experiments.’
- ‘To mention a few, chromium, manganese, iron, cobalt, and nickel are found in the transition series.’
- ‘A complete morphological transition series appears to exist from forms with no flanking rows to those with a single parapet, to those with two complete, symmetrical parapets.’
- ‘In this paper, the authors compiled a table comparing 34 different features of 10 different organisms on their supposed transition series from fish to tetrapod.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.