Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A visa allowing its holder to pass through a country only, not to stay there.
pass, passport, transit visa, authority, authorization, credentialsView synonyms
- ‘The guard asked what I was doing in Berlin on a transit visa from Erfurt to Dresden.’
- ‘Arriving in the little town of Portbou, the refugees discovered that the authorities had declared their Spanish transit visas invalid.’
- ‘India and Afghanistan once had a common boundary - to cross-over one needed no transit visa.’
- ‘The latter makes the transit period of its passengers more pleasurable by offering them a day's transit visa.’
- ‘Fatima told me a transit visa shouldn't take too long.’
- ‘Visa and transit visa requirements are imposed immediately on any country which starts to generate refugees.’
- ‘The authorities claimed that this was in response to intelligence that some nationals of these countries are using transit visas to flout current immigration controls.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.